Tuesday, July 6, 2010

She made it! Claire is a U.S. citizen! Now to us this has many meanings, but what it represents in light of our forthcoming marriage is the fact that without Claire having become a U.S. citizen, our life together as a family could have been torn apart by immigration issues. That's one reason why assuring full citizenship rights for LGBTQ people--particularly marriage rights--is so crucial. At the swearing-in ceremony, they showed a short, patriotic immigration film. After the swearing in actually happened, we watched a video of Obama welcoming the new U.S. citizens. Then they played a schmaltzy, corny, song called "Proud to be an American," or I think that's the name of it...."for at least I know I'm free...." Never liked that song much. Don't feel like singing it until the day my brothers and sisters and I have all the freedoms that heterosexual Americans have.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should post a link to that song on the blog!!!It's schmaltzy!!!

    ReplyDelete